TED Talks: The Official TED Guide to Public Speaking
In this official TED Talks guide, head of TED Chris Anderson teaches you how to craft powerful and transforming talks. It explains how powerful public speaking is achieved, and provides the tools to empower yourself. It also includes insights from well-known public figures.
Some of the areas covered:
- Talk styles to avoid
- Idea building to a great talk
- The irresistible allure of stories
- Connecting and getting personal
- Giving your words voice and presence
- The mental prep of controlling your nerves
- Opening and closing to make an impression
FeedbackIf you have a question or problem, ask us:
Table of Contents/ List of Topics Covered:
Prologue: The New Age of Fire
1. Presentation Literacy: The Skill You Can Build
2. Idea Building: The Gift in Every Great Talk
3. Common Traps: Four Talk Styles to Avoid
4. The Throughline: What’s Your Point?
5. Connection: Get Personal
6. Narration: The Irresistible Allure of Stories
7. Explanation: How to Explain Tough Concepts
8. Persuasion: Reason Can Change Minds Forever
9. Revelation: Take My Breath Away!
10. Visuals: Those Slides Hurt!
11. Scripting: To Memorize or Not to Memorize?
12. Run-Throughs: Wait, I Need to Rehearse?
13. Open and Close: What Kind of Impression Would You Like to Make?
14. Wardrobe: What Should I Wear?
15. Mental Prep: How Do I Control My Nerves?
16. Setup: Lectern, Confidence Monitor, Note Cards, or (Gulp) Nothing?
17. Voice and Presence: Give Your Words the Life They Deserve
18. Format Innovation: The Promise (and Peril) of Full-Spectrum Talks
19. Talk Renaissance: The Interconnectedness of Knowledge
20. Why This Matters: The Interconnectedness of People
21. Your Turn: The Philosopher’s Secret
Appendix: Talks Referenced with the Book
What You Get:
Book options include:
- Paperback $10.54
- Kindle $10.59
Guarantee / Terms:
See policy of product website