If I Understood You, Would I Have This Look on My Face?: My Adventures in the Art and Science of Relating and Communicating
In “If I Understood You, Would I Have This Look on My Face?”, Alan Alda tells of his quest to learn how to better communicate and develop empathy. The award-winning actor and author has been on a journey to discover new ways to help people communicate and relate to each other more effectively.
With humor, candor, and wit, Alda explains where and how he found inspiration, including having interviewed thousands of scientists to help them communicate complex ideas that a wide audience could understand.
Alda reflects on miscommunication in his own life and shows how it can be improved by truly understanding your relationship with others:
- The power of a compelling story
- Avoiding communication nonsense
- Know what a person is thinking and feeling
- How to become “in sync” with another person
- Listening with our eyes and identifying clues in someone’s face
Alda provides tools of communication that he teaches from the Alan Alda Center for Communicating Science to show the benefits from being better communicators.
FeedbackIf you have a question or problem, ask us:
Table of Contents/ List of Topics Covered:
PART ONE - Relating Is Everything
Chapter 1: Relating: It’s the Cake
Chapter 2: Theater Games with Engineers
Chapter 3: The Heart and Head of Communication
Chapter 4: The Mirror Exercise
Chapter 5: Observation Games
Chapter 6: Making It Clear and Vivid
Chapter 7: Reading Minds: Helen Reiss and Matt Lerner
Chapter 8: Teams
Chapter 9: Total Listening Starts with Where They Are
Chapter 10: Listening, from the Boardroom to the Bedroom
Chapter 11: Training Doctors to Have More Empathy
PART TWO - Getting Better at Reading Others
Chapter 12: My Life As a Lab Rat
Chapter 13: Working Alone on Building Empathy
Chapter 14: Dark Empathy
Chapter 15: Reading the Mind of the Reader
Chapter 16: Teaching and the Flame Challenge
Chapter 17: Emotion Makes It Memorable
Chapter 18: Story and the Brain
Chapter 19: Commonality
Chapter 20: Jargon and the Curse of Knowledge
Chapter 21: The Improvisation of Daily Life
What You Get:
- Kindle $12.63
- Hardcover $18.82
- Paperback $19.36
- Audible $19.95
Guarantee / Terms:
See policy of product website
User Reviews of If I Understood You, Would I Have This Look on My Face?: My Adventures in the Art and Science of Relating and Communicating
View Other Home Study Courses (Books, DVDs, CDs, MP3/ Video)
"Listen In As We Share The Top Takeaways From The Best Dating Products Ever Created... Shave Years Off Your Learning Curve As You Discover What Really Creates Success With Women"
- Here's just a few things we reveal in this info-packed interview:
- The surefire products that are proven to work - based on 15+ years coaching men to dating success.
- Why we dubbed this one product 'idiot-proof' and how it can transform a woman's reaction to you almost immediately.
- Feel anxious about approaching women? Discover how to bypass that and set up a stream of dates with gorgeous women in as little as 20 minutes a week.